What is Facebook Pixel?
Facebook pixel is a code embedded into your website which allows you to track the events on your website that helps in mapping the customer journey.
Why do I need Facebook Pixel?
Facebook Pixel is a powerful tool that gives you the ability to better understand the way your audience is interacting with your website. By using Pixel you can track the actions users are making on your website.
This allows you to understand where the audience that is coming to your website is headed to, what events are they launching the most and most importantly, if they are leading to the results which you want them to.
How to Install pixel?
Step 1: Go to Events Manager in your facebook business manager account.
Step 2: Click on connect data sources and select web to continue.
Step 3: Select facebook pixel and proceed ahead.
Step 4: Add a name for your pixel along with your website url and then proceed.
Step 5: You will see 2 options to install facebook pixel code in your website. If you have a facebook integration partner like WordPress you can do this automatically, using the partner integration option. Otherwise you can simply copy the code and add it to your website’s code.
Step 6: Now to set up the pixel events click on the event setup tool button. Choose your pixel ID and scroll to the event setup tool and click on Add Events. Here enter the URL of your website to complete the setup.
To check if your pixel has been properly set up, you can use the Facebook Pixel Helper Extension on your browser. This will tell you the Pixel ID that has been linked to the website. It allows one to check if the ID matches the one in your facebook pixel setup. If it matches then congratulations! Your pixel has been installed successfully.
What are the types of events that can be tracked?
There are many standard facebook pixel events that can be tracked. They are listed along with their relevance below.
Some of them are:-
- Lead: Any sign up or an individual identifying themselves as a lead.
- Purchase: You can track when a purchase is completed on your website.
- Registration: Any type of registration is completed on the website. Eg. Sign up form.
- Add to cart: When someone adds a product to their shopping cart.
- Add to wishlist: If someone adds a product to their wishlist on your website.
- Initiate checkout: If someone initiates the checkout process to buy something from your site.
- Search: If someone uses the search function to find something particular on your site.
- View content: If someone directly goes to a specific page on your website.
- Contact: If someone chooses to contact your business.
- Find location: If someone looks to find your business’s physical location.
- Schedule: When someone reserves an appointment in regards to your business.
- Start trial: When someone signs up to avail a free trial of your product or service.
- Customize product: Someone selects a specific version of a product, such as choosing a certain color.
- Donate: If someone chooses to donate to your cause.
- Submit application: When someone applies for a product, service, or program. Eg. Credit card application.
- Subscribe: When someone takes a subscription for a paid product or service.
You can also add some parameters which allow you to customize the standard events based on factors like:
- Value of the event conversion
- Type of content
With the help the above information you should be able to setup and understand the working of facebook pixel with ease!